Saturday, February 21, 2004

Okay. It’s 2:14. The team has gone to Kien Klaing, a state-run orphanage on the other side of the Mekong. I wish like heck I could have gone, but I’m afraid that if I push it, I won’t be able to spend time with the kids in the orphanage in Battambang. And those are MY kids. I know many of them by name, and some even refer to me as ‘daddy’ (or so I’m told by the Cambodians). Samouen and Savorn -- on separate occasions -- both told me that the kids can’t wait to see me. So, I’ve got to get well.

I’m glad the team is going to Kien Klaing before they see our orphans in Battambang. It’ll be like night and day for them. Kien Klaing is less a children’s home and more a kid ranch. Lots of kids wandering around, unsupervised and unkempt. The orphans in Battambang, however, are well-loved and well-fed. They all know that Jesus loves them, and that they have friends all around the world who think they’re important enough to set aside time and money to care for them. It’s a beautiful thing.

But there is hope for Kien Klaing. The kids from the student center have basically planted a church there -- they conduct services for the 40-some orphans who have turned to Christ in the last year or so. Praise God! How’s that for the kingdom at work? I’m so proud of our students. They’re really the best. They’ve taken these orphans under their wings. They know that when they minister to the orphans, they’re ministering to Christ himself. Praise God!

I can’t wait to get to heaven to see all of the street kids and prostitutes and drug addicts all cleaned up, ruling and reigning, judging the angels. I praise God for giving me the opportunity to get a little, teeny picture of that here.

But for now, the only picture I should be looking at is inside my eyelids. I’m beat, and I need to get some rest. Besides, I’ve gone on too long anyway. You all need to stop reading the blog and get back to work.

Grace and peace.

No comments: