Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Not the best keyboard

How should I describe this keyboard? In addition to the usual up-and-down motion, the keys on this machine also swivel 360 degrees. It's kind of like typing in Jello, and it's increasing my finger strain and decreasing my typing speed. (And to think I've wasted all that energy and time describing the keyboard.)

Phnom Penh is hot, but not nearly as rainy as i had expected. It's obvious, though, that it is not the dry season. This morning, the sky was overcast and it felt for the best part of the day like it was trying to rain. The sun has broken through, but the humidity is about 140%.

We picked the Wards at the airport at about noon, and they welcomed the opportunity to get a quick shower and change of clothes. I'm giving them a quick orientation, and we'll grab a late lunch at a little Thai place down the street. I'm hoping to have them back at the guest house before long; the jet lag should be kicking in...right...about...now...

Tomorrow we begin shooting video at about 9am. We'll spend the first part of the day at the Tuol Sleng genocide museum, and head over to the orphanage at about noon. I have no idea how we'll get everything done. We have only three or four days more in Phnom Penh, so we may have to scale back our expectations a little bit.

Well, the Wards are finished with their emailing, and i don't want to make them wait too long -- they'll probably fall asleep on their little plastic stools if i don't get a move on it.

Please pray for our continued health and productivity.

I'll try to post more photos soon.

3 comments:

Graham Geisler said...

John I am so jealous! I saw the picture of you and Nirann and heard you talking about SreyKan and just about jumped the next flight... I will be praying for your work... 11:00 am here now, so what is that 10 tonight there? Hope that you get some good rest.

Andy W. Anderson, Ph.D Candidate said...

Hooray that everything is going well so far. Amanda and I are praying for you daily!

ps... I wanted you to know that the secret word verification for this post was nufvpx... does that mean anything in Cambodian? Just thought I'd ask

Anonymous said...

JOHN! Hey this is sarah sweigard. I am so excited to be following your blog. I am jealous and I wish I was there with you. I miss so much about cambodia and I'm praying for your ministry as you're there. Give all the kids at the orphanage a hug for me :) Praying for you...