Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Good bye Cambodia

The last couple of days in Cambodia went by in a blur. Everything felt rushed. The Canadians arrived. The Canadians jetted to Battambang. They returned. We left. Everyone was passing like cars in a tunnel.

It kind of started on Saturday. Chien and I planned a long afternoon and evening together: late lunch at the Boddhi Tree restaurant, somber tour of Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, long walk along the river front to 'process' the Genocide issues and dinner and dessert somewhere downtown.

We got about half-way through Tuol Sleng before it all came apart -- a friend called and asked when I would be arriving at his place. Apparently I had agreed to a function, and there were about 20 people waiting for us. To make matters worse, I guess John and Bobbi were expected to attend as well, so I had to call them and ask them to drop everything. The function was nice, but left me a bit flustered.

(Tuol Sleng was, by the way, a good experience. Half a tour may have been enough. Chien seemed touched, but not crushed, which is a good balance. He said some interesting things: "This is a place where Satan seems to have won. I think I can feel the evil spirits here.")

Before I knew it, it was time to go. And now we're here. And it's late. I'll write more later, okay?

3 comments:

KarlandBethany said...

My sister and I ran into Kori &Xiu Dan at Trader Joe's yesterday morning; they seem well and look forward to your return.

Love your pictures and stories.

Praying for you,
B & K

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you - Chien's a smart kid and a pretty good nephew to boot. Give him our love. S,J, A & E

mosiacmind said...

Glad that things are going well...