Thursday, February 05, 2009

the tipping point

Well, it's arrived -- right on schedule.

It happens every time I travel, and it happens just a few days before I leave.

I suppose it's a tipping point of some sort; it's the time when I realize that, despite the fact that the kids at the orphan homes are fantastic, I need to be home with my wife and kids.

Sure, I've missed them from day one, but as day 20-something rolls around, the dull ache has become a stabbing pain (and I'm not talking about my colon -- that's a different tipping point...). I'm dreaming about them, I long for them while I'm driving or as I'm eating dinner. I miss them when I wake up, and when I go to sleep. You get the idea.

Another sign that I've reached the tipping point is that I become more concerned about things at the office. I woke up at 3:30 this morning, thoughts of proposals and presentations, of logos and letterheads stampeding through my brain.

Further evidence that the time has come is that I've run out of things to blog about. It's not that I've run out of exciting activities or valuable interactions. It's not as if the kids here are any less adorable or our staff less amazing, it's just that I can't seem to put my words together in any sort of cogent order. (Or is it order cogent?)

We have had a great week. On Wednesday, we closed the school and took all of the kids to a "water park" (Unofficial slogan: We put the 'Yum' in Bacterium!) And yes, when I say "water park" I bracket the words with those little finger-air-quote things. Unlike the one in Phnom Penh -- which, in comparison, looks like Schlitterbahn -- the Prek Eng water park is an algae-infested death trap. But boy, do the kids and staff love it.

My pictures of the park do it a great service; it's actually way grimier than the photos imply. Health and safety concerns aside, we had a blast. No one got hung by the loose rope dangling across the zip line, none of the kids were launched into orbit by the maliciously steep waterslide. And as far as I can tell, no one is suffering from burning, explosive diarrhea from accidental ingestion of the rancid water.

We baptized about 50 kids, and then we partied all day long. We danced, we grilled eggs and we roasted marshmallows, celebrating our friendship and God's goodness until dark.

So, it's not like I don't have anything to write about.

But I am ready to come home. I leave Monday night (our time) and arrive Tuesday morning (Ohio time). I have a major client meeting 10am Wednesday. By then, I may wish I was back in Cambodia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the tipping point is God's way of preparing you for the joys and trials of being back home. Wherever we are there are things that are difficult and fantastic, so He is just preparing you!

You know you are kind of like that just before you leave for Asia as well, ready to get on with it!

MOM